Tuesday, October 25, 2011

Psych Evaluation

Today I had my psychological evaluation, which is a pre-surgical requirement for my bariatric procedure.  For any of you that truly know me, you understand that it took everything in me not to mess with the Psychologist.  As much as I REALLY wanted to, I thought it would suck pretty hard if they ended up committing me!  So, I exhibited restraint and acted as "normal" as I possibly could.  I was completely expecting to be grilled on the following topics:
  • Why have you gained weight?
  • What measures have you taken to lose the weight before considering surgery?
  • After surgery, will you look at an entire pizza and be depressed that you can't eat it?
  • Are you doing this strictly for image reasons?
I didn't get a single question that was even remotely close to any of those.  Here is what I got:
  • What medications are you currently taking?
  • Have you been given detailed information regarding your surgery and the risks?
  • Are you aware that complications can arise from this surgery?
  • Why do you want to lose weight?
THAT IS IT!  It took me longer to fill out the paperwork and make my co-pay than it did to do the evaluation.  Something is wrong here, right?  Nope!  No follow-up visit, nothing...just 4 questions and my form is signed and ready to go!

Now, I know that I am fully ready and prepared for any complications/depression/etc that may arise.  However, I know that others out there would not be.  I sure hope that maybe she saw something in me that said "this girl has it together, so let her off easy!"  I know several people who have been through this surgery that were not prepared at all for the effects/changes after the procedure.  If you ever decide to go through something like this, make sure you know all there is to know about it.  Talk to people that have done it.  Get them to tell you all about the great things and the horrible things.  Don't let anyone sugar coat it for you...get the truth!

You can expect to get the truth here!  I will never sugar coat anything...so expect real details, no matter how graphic and horrible they are! 

No comments:

Post a Comment